As a part of the well-being programme, the next unit for Island Time is about “Health in Hong Kong”. Students will be inquiring into the following lead questions for this unit:
- How does the HK government promote good health?
- What provision does the SAR government provide for sports and leisure?
- What are the risks involved in hiking from Magazine Gap Road down into Aberdeen?
- What are the healthy or not so healthy lunchtime food options in Aberdeen based a budget of 2 hours HK minimum wage?
- What are the Eco challenges that the HKSAR faces?
- Does the HK Ecopark Visitors’ Centre fully inform us of the territories Eco challenges?
- How can we as citizens of the SAR promote any related improvements?
- What have you learned about the relationship between economic factors (ie earning minimum wage, or above) and healthy lifestyle choices?
- Consider the delicate balance of governments in promoting healthy lifestyles as well as ensuring environmental sustainability. Given the advance new technologies and wealth, what issues do these governments face? Use HK as an example.
- Whose responsibility is it to make Hong Kong healthier?
There will be three excursions on rotation, which will assess different aspects of the provision for health in Hong Kong:
A) Bowen Road Storyboard
B) Aberdeen Hike with Risk assessment Evaluation
C) Po Kong Village Road Park
The three excursions will lead to a final project where students will be working on a “Health in Hong Kong” website.
Here is our weekly schedule of excursions:
Students will have a different task every week and are expected to change groups every week to develop different aspects of their collaborative skills.
For each excursion, please support your child to prepare the following:
- at least 1.5 litres of water
- sun cream
- light waterproof clothing
- pod touches/portable cameras for recording and creating storyboards /photo-stories- please ensure these are fully charged.
- light backpack
- laptops to be brought to school and to be placed in lockers at school for use lesson 4
- octopus card
- Health in Hong Kong booklet given to you in the first week
- $20 for cycling at Po Kong Village Road Park
We would like to invite parent volunteers to help supervise these excursions. Please email email@example.com if you are interested.
We look forward to a rewarding and valuable experience. Please do not hesitate to contact either of us for any further details.