Dear Y9, Y11, Y13 Parents,
Your child’s secondary school has agreed to participate in the “Examination of Education for Sustainable Development in Hong Kong” project conducted by the University of Hong Kong. Your child is asked to take part in this educational research and development project that aims to explore “students’ attitudes towards the environment”.
This project will have the following benefits to the community:
- We will be able to compare students in Hong Kong to other students around the world.
- Identify any part of Environmental Education that needs improvement in Hong Kong
- Improve the curriculum and teacher training
In order to assess the effectiveness of this project, students are requested to:
- Participate in a short survey and group interview to provide their opinions on their learning.
- Allow analysis of their discussions in class and other relevant learning experiences.
- Allow audiotaping during regular classroom instruction and activities.
- Allow researchers to make use of any of the lesson recordings for research and teacher/ leadership professional development purposes.
All data obtained will only be used for this project. Strict confidentiality will be maintained. Participation in this project is voluntary and your child can withdraw from the project at any time. No action on your part is required if you give consent for your child to participate in the study; however, if you do NOT wish to give consent, you are requested to make this known to the school. If you wish to obtain further information about the rights of participants in research, please contact the Human Research Ethics Committee for Non-Clinical Faculties, the University of Hong Kong (2241-5267).
We would like to express our gratitude to your child for participating in this project.
Thank you for your attention and support.
The University of Hong Kong