According to the Centre for Health Protection (CHP) the current influenza activity in Hong Kong is at a high level and will remain at a high level in the coming weeks. In light of this the CHP and the Education Bureau have advised additional measures for temperature monitoring during this influenza season, to aid the prevention of any outbreaks of influenza and other respiratory infections at school.
Please can all parents / guardians monitor your child’s body temperature before school daily.
If your child has a fever (oral temperature above 37.5C or ear temperature of 38C or above) regardless of the presence of respiratory symptoms they should not attend school and seek medical advice.
If your child has suffered from a fever they should not return to school until 48 hours after the fever has subsided without the use of any antipyretic medication.
In addition, to help prevent the spread of influenza and respiratory illnesses, please encouraged your children to take the following measures:
- Build up good body immunity by having a proper diet, regular exercise, and adequate sleep.
- Maintain good personal and environmental hygiene.
- Keep hands clean and wash hands properly.
- When hands are not visibly soiled, clean them with 70-80% alcohol-based hand rub.
- Cover nose and mouth while sneezing or coughing and dispose of nasal and mouth discharge properly.
- Wash hands after sneezing, coughing, or cleaning nose.
- Maintain good ventilation and avoid crowded places with poor ventilation.
- Do not send children to school with fever or respiratory problems.
- Children should not attend school until 48 hours after a fever has subsided.
- Continue to monitor temperatures daily at home.
- Seek medical advice promptly if symptoms of respiratory tract infection or fever develop.
The latest information on influenza activity can be found on the following website:
Please advise your child if they feel unwell during school hours to attend the medical room. If your child is absent from school due to illness please remember to email the school at firstname.lastname@example.org and inform them of the nature of your child’s illness.
Your vigilance and cooperation will help Island School to remain a healthy environment for all our students during this influenza season.
Thank you for your cooperation,